Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Purple Hat by Irma Bombeck.................

Purple Hat
In memory of Erma Bombeck who lost her fight with cancer.

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck
(Written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's"; more "I'm sorry's."
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it... live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!
Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what
Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.
Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with, and what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally. I hope you have a blessed day.

17 comments:

Ash said...

I love this. I think everyone should think about things like that. You just never know where life will take you. Thanks for this post, it definitely makes you think about how thankful we should be.

Carole Burant said...

Hard to believe she's been gone for 11 years already! I so enjoyed this post...everything she writes should make us realize what really is important while we still have our health to enjoy what life has to offer!!! xox

Kelli said...

What a wonderful post, Betty!! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Kelli

Karen said...

Betty,
I still check her books out from the library. I have read this before, and it's good advice to remember. I enjoyed the reminders.
Blessings,
Karen

Christie Belle said...

What an awesome perspective. So many of these hit home, we all need these types of reminders more often. Thanks!

Christie Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dot said...

I used to enjoy reading her newspaper column.
Really nice post!

Anonymous said...

So true! So true! Thank you for the good reminders. I enjoy reading your blog. --Linda in Ca

Tracy said...

I love Erma Bombeck. She can get a good laugh from me anytime I pick up one of her books! Thanks for sharing this.

weirdbunny said...

So emotional ...

Candy said...

so true, I loved this, thanks :)
Hugs,
Candy

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Betty what a poignant piece of prose. I haven’t heard of Irma Bombeck. I’m off to see what I can find out about her. Marion

AC said...

Hi Betty
Thank you for the lovely comments that you left on my blog about my bookmark.
I have very much enjoyed visiting your blog and will be back regularly.
bye for now.
Take care.
Alsion.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks, Betty for all the info on Hotel Talisi...my DH got a kick out of all that...so glad we got to trade stories. Please stop by and see me often!

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Mary L. Briggs said...

Oh, I miss her so much. Thanks for posting this Betty JO! What great reminders for our life!

PAT said...

I loved reading Erma Bombeck. Miss her!

HORIZON said...

So well said- makes you count your blessings and just be happy with what you have, who your with and enjoying/living each day to the full!