Thursday, October 25, 2007

Friday Show and Tell.....Yes it is.....no it isn't.......




Once again it's Friday and time for Show and Tell over at Kelli's...............
Several years ago I was given a cutting of a plant called Confederate Rose....sometimes called 'Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow', 'Cotton Rose' because the leaves do look very much like cotton leaves.....

The next fall when buds began to emerge I was really excited.....finally a bloom opened and it was beautiful........pure white petals......

That afternoon, my husband came in and was telling me how pretty the pink bloom was. Needless to say, we had a heated discussion about the color of the bloom. I said, "white', he said, "pink'.......well, in the final analysis, we were both correct.....just a few hours apart.....

When the bud first opens, it is a gorgeous white bloom. An hour or so later, pink tinges the edges of the petals.....and in four or five hours the bloom has turned a very deep pink....hence the name 'Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow'............



The same bloom.......white in the morning when I cut it..............

A deep pink color in the afternoon..........Because of the drought this year and where the bush is located, it suffered from lack of water.....usually the blooms are much larger and showy........Sorry that pictures are somewhat blurried.........

25 comments:

LadySnow said...

That is beautiful! I have never seen anything like it.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful type of rose. I have heard of the name but I have never heard of a flower changing colors like this one. Your lucky to own this bush!

Rose of Sharon said...

How pretty! It is so neat how it turned from white to hot pink! Tell your hubby that it looked white to me in the beginning!

Smiles! Sharon

retha said...

Here by is is also a plant called yesterday-today-tomorrow. It is a small flat flower. Yesterday it was purple, today it is lilac and tomorrow it is white.

Susie said...

Betty,
You always share such interesting things! I've never heard of a flower like that!
That pink color is gorgeous, but then the white is just as pretty!
xo

Anita said...

This changing of the colour really amazes me! I've never heard of such a rose before!

Have a great Friday, Betty!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Unknown said...

What a wonder! God's creation or human contrivance at work? A rose from either way is beautiful.

Blessings and bliss

Hootin Anni said...

*stunned*....this is ONE amazing plant. I've never seen such a blossom. The name is so fitting, isn't it?
And pretty too. Now, I may have missed this in your post, but is there a fragrance?

Happy Weekend. And enjoy this week's show n tell!!!

Anonymous said...

Well that is just lovely. Flowers with big blossoms like that are such fun to grow. They all have such personality.

Take care,
Connie

Susan said...

How NEAT!!!! I've never heard of such a rose. Isn't our Lord amazing in his creation?!!!!
Susan

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Oh I love it! I have never heard of this type of rose. It's like getting 3 flowers in one! How great is that?

Thanks for sharing.
~Amy

Martha said...

Amazing - just beautiful. God makes all things well.

Hope you all get lots of rain here soon.

Happy Fall,
Jane

Mary said...

This flower is awesome! I had never seen one before. I wonder if they would grow in my corner of the country. The fact that they turn color is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Kristy Jo said...

what a BEAUTIFUL flower, i have never seen it!

Unknown said...

That is amazing. Isn't God creative???

Carole Burant said...

Well how amazing is that flower?!! I've never heard of it but how very interesting that it changes colours after a few hours! Such a beautiful flower too!! xox

Tom said...

We'll be keeping our eye out for this one. Thanks for sharing from your garden

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of such a thing! Amazing -Love it!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Betty, I have never seen one of those! How interesting & what a pretty color. I'm partial to pink flowers. That really IS amazing!

Rhod

Tammy said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Mary said...

Hello Betty, I have one, I posted it not long ago. My Hubby likes it because it is big, not a little delicate thing:) Mary

HORIZON said...

This is the right time of year for taking cuttings in the garden Betty- what a wonderful flower for show and tell.
Things have been busy over this way- my mum has been in the hospital with heart probs, my father-in-law hasn't been so well either. Would appreciate your prayers. We were down in Cornwall mid October to see my husband's parents.
Have missed blogging for weeks now- just so little time to sit.
much love and bests for now- will be back as soon as l can.
take care Betty- you are a smashing lady. Thank you for all your comments.
x

Cathy said...

That is just totally amazing. You do have some very unique flowers, and I love to read about them. :o)

Barbara said...

I thought it looked like a Japanese Anenome until I saw the pink. How beautiful. I have a white rose that turns pink but not as quickly as that.
Come over and see the surprise on my blog.

Little Penpen said...

How beautiful!