Thursday, February 8, 2007

Gleanings I found in charity shops.........

















I am a thrift store junkie.......There I've admitted it. My family, especially my husband,has known this for a long time. My heart quickens when I see a thrift store, charity shop, yard sale, interesting garbage pile. So many treasures are cast aside that others would dearly love to have.
I was given a "You Are Special Today" red plate, made by The Red Plate Company in Germany, as a gift. Most months we have two birthdays so I needed another red plate. They sell for about $44.00. Recently, as I was browsing through one of my favorite charity shops I spied something red. I hurried over as quickly as I could without running over anyone. There was my red plate! I grabbed it immediately, if not before. The price was $2.00.

Another day I found a picture with flowers and a bird. Those are two of my favorite things, well other than pictures of my grandchildren. It was just a couple of dollars.

I like blue and white porcelain, dishes that have flowers on them, especially roses, blue willow and red willow dishes, or just red and white dishes period. I found a small red and white pitcher for a $1.00 that I use in a grouping on the television cabinet.

On another shopping trip, I found this big white fruit topiary in an urn for $1.00. It looks great in any room. Also, I found these two cast iron urns for a couple of dollars each that I use on each end of the mantel.

I have lots of other "finds" that I'll show in later postings. All kinds of treasures are out there just waiting to be found. It's my lot in life to rescue as many of them as possible..........

9 comments:

dot said...

Wow, you really have some pretty things! I never find anything good at thrift stores.

Karen said...

Betty,
Such pretty things! I like blue and white, which I have more of, and red and white, not so much of.
I love your decorating style, too.
And that last line....too funny!!

Kelli said...

What wonderful treausres you found! I love your new white and red pitcher! I am a thift store junkie
too. :0)
Kelli

theups said...

These are SO lovely!! Thank you very much for sharing!!

I, too, LOVE any of those sales!! You never know what kind of treasure is hidden just waiting for you to discover it!

His,
Mrs. U

Marci said...

You have really found some unique treasures. I love the part where you ran to the item and tried not to knock anyone over. I will stay out of your way if I ever spot you in a thrift store!!!

Jen said...

I have the same red plate...it was a wedding gift to me......the problem is I loaned it out to someone and they kept it....and I cant remember who has it...do you ever do that? Maybe I should look through some of our local antique stores for one...thanks for the tip...

Anonymous said...

I received the same red plate as a wedding gift but it broke some years later :( I would love to find another!

Blessings,
Michelle from MI

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Betty, You found some wonderful treasures...I love everything you found!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betty..I had to come and see your flower and bird picture! And and love the frame painted white...I had thought about painting mine white...I always paint all the frames of the pictures I find white..all of your thrift finds are beautiful. I think we would have fun thrifting together!