Monday, June 11, 2007

Do You Remember When........

This is an email sent to me today……I remember most all of them…..do you?



DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN .....?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?



It took 5 minutes for the TV warm up?


Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?


Nobody owned a purebred dog?



When a quarter was a decent allowance?



You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?


Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had
their hair done every day and wore high heels?




You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time?
And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?


Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?


It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner
at a real restaurant with your parents?


They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . . and they did?


When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?



No one ever asked where the car keys were
because they were always in the car,
in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?



Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a "

and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?


Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?


And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once,
you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,
and share it with the children of today?


When being sent to the principal's office was nothing
compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?



Basically we were in fear for our lives,
but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.
Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Send this on to someone who can still remember
Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy,
Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery,
the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,
Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.


As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games,
Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool,
and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.
Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?



I am sharing this with you today
because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on.
To remember what a double dog dare is, read on.
And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between
old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?


Candy cigarettes


Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles


Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes


Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum



Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers



Newsreels before the movie
P.F. Fliers


Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601).
Party lines


Peashooters
Howdy Doody



45 RPM records


Green Stamps
Hi-Fi's

Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Beanie and Cecil



Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Drive ins



Studebakers



Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys


Erector Sets
The Fort Apache Play Set
Lincoln Logs


15 cent McDonald hamburgers


5 cent packs of baseball cards -
with that awful pink slab of bubble gum
Penny candy
35 cent a gallon gasoline


Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest? 
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?




It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?


The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?


Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?


A foot of snow was a dream come true?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?


"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?
War was a card game?


Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?


Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?


If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!


Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from
their "grown-up" life I double-dog-dare you……..

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memories, memories...Remember the old song? I love reading these lists. I remember every single item. And more. :-) I do wish my kids could have experienced those days, too. The innocence and safety of those days is worth far more (to me) than the computers and dish washers of today. :-) Oops! I had better be quiet or I will be sounding old!

Blessings,
Linda

Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Gosh Betty...thanks for the memories!! Yep...I can remember almost all these things on your list! I guess that means I have "lived"!! LOL! Simpler Times....

Myrna said...

I remember most of them! I guess we are really telling our age when we admit to some of these memories!

Betty, I am glad you emailed me! What a treat to get a note from a new friend. Just love blogging!

TO BECOME said...

Well, Betty, I can say I have "lived." Thanks for the post. It made me laugh remembering all those things. It touched my heart . connie from Texas

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember most of it with the fondest of memeories!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Betty, thanks for stopping by. Sorry that your plans were cancelled. I am just happy to be back home after being gone so long!! I can remember everything on this list so that must make me old!!SMILE!! But that is okay. I wish that kids today were as afraid of their parents as we were then..I think we would have better teens. We need more discipline. Take care. Sandy

Sandra said...

I loved this post, I remember a lot of it, I kinda wish things had remained the same don't you? lol

Have a great day,
Sandra

dot said...

I remember those "good ole days".

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Yes Betty, this is the stuff that memories are made of. ‘The good old days’. Its been interesting to read through your list, but being English, some of the things are somewhat unknown to me. Marion

Ruth said...

I loved this! I remember some of it but not all. It would be great to go back in time for that slower paced life!!

Lyndy said...

Let’s see....I am 38 so a lot of these I didn’t remember but I found a few.

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a "

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Candy cigarettes

Party lines

45 RPM records

Hi-Fi's


Metal ice cubes trays with levers (Oh how I hated these things)

Jiffy Pop popcorn

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

These are the ones I remember and oh the party lines. We had a boy on ours and every time my mother went to use the phone, he was on there playing like it was a CB radio. He would shout over and over into the phone 10-4 over and out. Finally, Mother got fed up and paid the extra money for a private line.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Anonymous said...

That was good! Lots of stuff I remember. I am going to save that.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a great post Betty. I really enjoyed reading these and the memories they brought back to me.